Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Biscuits with no butter? oh my!

And no sugar either! I can't believe it myself, but it is true.

I am trying to find some yummy breakfast ideas to feed the kids.

We have decided(after much reading) that cereal is pretty much one of the worst things you can ingest(more on that later). The kids do ask for it once in a while and once in a while they can have some of our fairly old depleting stock of cereal. It is plain cheerios or organic rice puffs. Not much to choose from so I am trying to make things that are much more exciting then cereal.

I found this Pumpkin Biscuit recipe today. By no means do I want my children to eat a fat free diet, but they are sugar free and I had all the ingredients so I wanted to give them a try.

If you want to make the dough itself a little sweeter, substitute agave nectar for a couple tablespoons of the soy milk. Or, if you want sweetness without calories, try adding a little stevia or your favorite sweetener to the batter

.
2 cups white whole wheat flour (I used 100% organic whole wheat flour)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon(I used only 1tsp)
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cloves
1/4 cup raisins
1/2 cup pumpkin (canned or cooked, pureed, and drained)
1/2 cup plain soy milk (plus additional, as needed)
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Preheat oven to 425F and lightly oil a non-stick baking sheet. Mix the dry ingredients together well (flour through raisins). Add the pumpkin and mix until crumbly (do not overmix). Combine the soymilk and lemon juice and add it, stirring until a soft dough forms. If all flour is not moistened, add additional soymilk a teaspoon at at time until dough forms a ball.

Turn out the dough onto a well-floured surface and sprinkle the top lightly with flour. Roll out about 3/4 inch thick. Using a 1 1/2-2-inch wide biscuit cutter or glass dipped in flour, press straight down without twisting to cut into 12-15 biscuits.

Place the biscuits, sides lightly touching, on the oiled sheet. Bake until tops are lightly browned, 9-11 minutes. Serve hot.

Servings: 14
Yield: 12-15

The results were a yummy nice textured biscuit. I tried one right out of the oven with a tiny bit of butter(that is a debate for another day). My goal is for my kids to enjoy these as well. I will feed them to the kids tomorrow and I will be keeping my fingers crossed that they like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment