Sunday, March 7, 2010

Hamburger and Hotdog Buns

100% Whole Wheat Hamburger and Hotdog Buns.


Ingredients
1 cup water
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 egg
3 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup vital wheat gluten
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon instant yeast or active dry yeast

Directions

1. Place all ingredients in order according to your bread machine.
2. Select ‘dough’ cycle.
3. Allow cycle to run.
4. Dump out onto lightly floured surface. Divide into 8-10 pieces(I make 8 hamburger,10 hot dog).
5. Shape each piece into a hot dog or hamburger bun.
6. Place on greased cookie sheets (or bun pans), cover; let rise 30 to 40 minutes.
7. Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 12 to 15 minutes until golden.
8. Cool on wire racks.

I found this recipe a while back and I have no idea why I haven't posted it hear sooner. It is simple and very easy. Sadly my hotdog buns are not photo worthy. I am still trying to get the prefect shape and size.
My only tips are to not make them too big. The dough has a second rising stage and the buns will get larger before and as you are cooking them. There is an art to making them just the right size and I am still trying to master it. Some days I make them great for smokies, other days I make them great for kids size dogs.

Hamburger buns on the other hand are rather easy. You can make mini ones for the kids and big giant sized ones if you want to.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment