Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Magnetic Chalkboard


I had this wall space in the kitchen, and just for fun I thought I would make a chalkboard for the kids and for a grocery and to-do list.

When I was looking around for chalkboard paint I discovered that you can make a magnetic chalkboard. So I thought, why not, I will give it a try.

The magnetic primer was being rather fussy and I ended up having to do 6 coats of the stuff to make any magnet stick. I was worried that once I got the chalkboard paint on top of it nothing would stick. Thankfully, everything but the kids VTech letters stick.


There are many places you can make a chalkboard wall. In the Kitchen, on the inside of your pantry door, a child's room or even on top of a desk or table.

before you paint, tape off the area with painters table and make sure your lines are level by using a leveler.

Your best application option is a foam roller for both the magnetic primer and the chalkboard paint.

The magnetic primer can be bought at Home Depot and comes in 1/4 gallon size cans. I was able to do my space with 6 coats and I still have about 1/2 the can left, so it does go a long way.

This primer dries fast so you may be able to get the project done in one day if you had the time.


Once the primer is dried and you are ready for the chalkboard paint you now have to decide on the colour. The brand Home depot sells has many different colours, from pink and brown to red and yellow. But if you just want to use black and don't have a huge wall to cover Benjamin Moore sells small size cans to save you a few bucks. I didn't need 1/4 of a gallon and found the small can at Benjamin Moore. I painted on 3 coats and still have enough paint for another project if needed.


Once your 3 coats of the paint has been put on, let it dry for 3 days before you cure the chalkboard. To cure the chalkboard just rub chalk all over the painted area and wipe off with your brush. Your chalkboard is now ready to use.
Oh, and before I forget, you can even buy whiteboard(dry eraser) paint!! how cool is that.

1 comment: