Sunday, January 31, 2010

Pita Bread

Rolled out dough ready for second rise

Freshly baked(could have been browner). I don't know the chemistry behind Pita Bread
but they baked perfectly with the centre open.

You are probably thinking, no way! But yes, you can make your very own homemade Pita Bread and with very little effort with Peppy's Pita Bread recipe. Again, I used my bread machine to mix the dough effortlessly. For some odd reason I had troubles with this recipe. The dough was very sticky but I followed it exactly and I am not sure what went wrong. Otherwise I am sure the dough would have been much easier to work with.

But I shall redeem myself and try it again with a few changes. The taste is good but it wont blow your socks off. This recipe will save you a lot of money if you really like Pita Bread. I think most packages of 8 Pita's run about $3 per bag? I also have a hard time finding fresh ones that don't expire within a few days of buying them. Super Store is also notorious for freezing their baked goods so they last longer on the shelf, which makes knowing how old the breads really are very deceiving. The bonus to homemade, no preservatives!!!

1 comment:

  1. I made these today and they are great. I too used the bread maker and the dough was perfect. My little girl loved watching them "poof" in the oven. I made hummus to go with them...yummy! Thanks

    ReplyDelete