Thursday, January 14, 2010

Pizza Perogies



These are an all time favorite with my kids.

I was inspired to make my own after buying some Pizza Perogies from the Farmer's Market.
I start off with my Mother-in-Laws perogie dough, which is very easy to work with. (I have her Cottage Cheese Perogie recipe at allrecipes.com) also very good.

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3/4 cup cold water


1. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, 1 teaspoon of salt, and baking powder. Pour in the vegetable oil and cold water, and mix or knead into a smooth dough.


2.Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface, and cut into 3 inch circles using a glass, can, or cookie cutter. Place a spoonful of the cottage cheese filling onto each circle. Fold in half, and pinch the edges together to seal.


3.Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Carefully drop the perogies into the water, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until they float. Remove from water with a slotted spoon, and place on a cooling rack set over a baking sheet to drain excess water.


For the Pizza filling I make my own pizza sauce.

1 small can of tomato sauce(about 8oz). I prefer to buy the no salt added and be careful to read labels. Many tomato sauce cans have added sugar as well.

1 small can of tomato paste. Again, read the labels. Superstore yellow label is simply "tomatoes" which it should be, but again many companies add sugar and salt.

Spices of choice, garlic, basil, oregano, onion, pepper and salt. You can add tiny slivers of pepperoni or mushrooms if you wish. There really are no rules or limitations to this, my children just like it simple.

Once you make the sauce add a small amount of sauce and cheese for your perogies.

I got a Hunky Bill's for Christmas this year and it is amazing at how fast I can make perogies now. You can buy it online or at specialy Kitchen supply stores in your area. The dough recipe above makes 18 perogies with Hunky Bill's larger size perogie maker.

2 comments:

  1. Those perogies look so yummy! I love that its call Hunky Bill's perogy maker...why Hunky Bills!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was named for "Hunky" Bill Konyk - originally from Winnipeg and famous in Vancouver for his PNE stands selling perogies for over 50 years, he died in 2019. They were pulled from stores decades ago but I still remember the pizza ones! You could taste the flavours in the filling (not like the ones you buy these days). They tasted almost as good as homemade, best storebought perogies I've ever had and were the core of some fantastic meals growing up.

    ReplyDelete